Ancestral Work seems to be the flavour of the season and I’ve been getting emails from various people and have seen some interesting threads about it online so here’s my 2 cents.
I for one am not interested in working with my ancestors and don’t have the call nor feel the need to do so. I am not interested in knowing them beyond the muggle way of things nor do I feel the need to utilize them for magickal favours.
Now, if you think about it – it’d be weird for me not to take advantage of this technique; my grandfathers were both touched w/ magick, one was an alleged sorcerer. As well, there has been stories that my other grandfather has been actively helping out our extended family down in the Philippines with some ghostly tricks here and there.
When I look at how people use this practice; what type of rituals they employ, what kind of things they request – you can easily tell who is doing it for material gains, and who is doing it for an actual devotional practice.
Personally, and these are shared by practitioners I know who have been at this type of work for quite some time now, I feel that a certain humbleness is needed, that some veneration and devotion should be utilized in this practice. Not because one heard that these guys are like the new genie in the bottles, more so the fact that you want to know or continue your line while keeping a connection with the past. These were your blood and have worked hard to continue the line forward and for the betterment of the family, I don’t think one should just do a half assed job at it. Getting favous though is a nice extra, kinda like when grandma gives you a gift.
If I were to create a ancestral practice; I’d probably just use it for connection, advice, and maybe for some imminent danger pre-warning. Not ask them to get me this, do that, etc. Like a spoiled little kid.
Now as to why I personally don’t utilized this practice, just a couple of reasons…
- I just don’t see any practical application to it that I couldn’t do with the entities that I work with already. I already have my guides, I can work well with other entities, my sorcery skills is good enough to get me what I need. I just don’t see adding another tech in my toolbox, just for the sake of being part of the cool kids.
- These are my family, it would be weird to ask them to do stuff for me that are not even close to being morally ok. They are Catholics and they do what Catholics do. Ancestral spirits don’t just forgot what they are, they’re not slave spirits at your beck and call.
- I practice my devotion to them though my memories of them, and my actions and how they’ve influenced me. Everything that I do, everything that I achieve is all glory and praise to my immediate family and my extended family and my past ancestors.
- I just want to leave them alone and let them watch over me, they’ve had it rough already taking care of us, lol. And if they really want to intervene, they can do so if it pleases them – I know, it has happened.
- I don’t really feel the need to get to know my ancestors past my grandparents.
- I’m pretty effed in the head. I don’t want them knowing what I’ve been up to, lol. I might get smacked around, this time magickal wise and it’ll prolly hurt.
Overall, call me a traditionalist or a moralist but these are your family, they deserve your utmost respect. Don’t be that piece of shit relative who only shows up to “borrow” money and never return it and never come back.
Do it for the right reasons.